|The Curator role at Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome (SMGWA) is a vital part of our site and it is important that it is delivered with professionalism and efficiency. The role offers opportunity to work with a fascinating collection at a unique site of national significance as part of a committed and welcoming team. The Honorary Curator works closely with the CEO and helps to advise and steer the Heritage aspect of the site and charity as a whole.
The Curator is responsible for SMGWA’s collection of objects, be they on display or in store. We look to our Curator to build up collections, develop ways in which objects, archives and artworks can be interpreted, through exhibitions, publications, events and audio-visual presentations. The Curator’s work involves organising exhibitions, managing collections’ care, identifying and recording objects, organising object loans and dealing with enquiries. All of these tasks require the post to work with colleagues in areas such as conservation, education, design and marketing. In addition, the Curator may conduct research and lecture on findings or ongoing activities.
|. Main Responsibilities: |
• developing and organising our collections to expand and improve educational and research facilities
• Researching and locating objects that can add value to the collection
• maintaining records and cataloguing acquisitions • researching, compiling and preparing written information about our collection for our records and publication or circulation where appropriate.
• collaborating with other institutions
• ensuring that objects are properly preserved
• contributing to the raising of funds and grants
• contributing to the sourcing, interviewing, hiring and training of staff and volunteers.
Planning and Organising:
The Curator will eventually arrange and chair the Curatorial Team meetings, presently chaired by the Trustee (Curatorial). The Curator needs to work with all facets of the Curatorial team to ensure that they are well trained and delivering good service to the visitors, while meeting the strict protocols of the Museum Accreditation process. This will require prioritising, planning and administrative skills.
This is a leadership role and the Curator will need to be able to motivate volunteers. The post holder must possess the necessary inter- personal skills be able to work harmoniously as part of a team and be helpful and polite. Key daily contacts will be the CEO, Trustees and departmental heads. Externally the Curator will need to establish a good working relationship with opposite numbers in other museums such as The RAF Museum and IWM.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Needed for the Role:
Ideally the Curator should have been educated to degree level but completion of secondary education with appropriate experience would be acceptable. The most important attributes for the role are a commitment to respect and maintain the heritage of the site and dedication towards establishing Stow Maries Great War Aerodrome as the best preserved, conserved and authentically restored World War 1 aerodrome in the world.
• Ability to lead, motivate and inspire the curatorial team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to organise, present and communicate messages effectively
• Excellent project management and organisational skills
• Knowledge of fundraising for cultural projects
• Appreciation of the aerodrome’s financial position so that the curatorial team can contribute to SMGWA’s financial sustainability.
• Knowledge of working with museum databases and IT issues
• Good teamworking skills
• Excellent research and IT skills.
Span of Control:
Supervision of over 40 volunteers, Heads of Research, Guides and Collections teams.
Job Context and any other relevant information
This role will require an application of skills to the benefit of the Aerodrome’s vision and mission. Although a Volunteer post, the contribution the incumbent makes is of great importance to the aerodrome’s success.
There is no typical working week. The Curator would be expected to be on site on Tuesday and Thursday when most volunteers are working on site. Other hours of attendance would need to fit the requirements of the role. There would be a requirement for some weekend working. There would be opportunities for home working.
At least 2 years in a similar or relevant role.
|In the first instance, please contact Our CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and an informal discussion.