The Royal Automobile Club is a private members club established in 1897 to promote the automobile in society and champion early motorists. The Club has extensive collections comprising of original manuscripts, paintings and objet d’art. The Club also has a specialised motoring library and a vast trophies collection. The trophies include the iconic British Grand Prix Trophy, Tourist Trophy and Segrave Trophy.
The collections are housed at different sites. At the Club’s townhouse in Pall Mall, the Library contains over 6,000 volumes. There are also paintings and trophies displayed in Banqueting Rooms and in stores.
Woodcote Park, Surrey, is the Royal Automobile Club’s country club which also contains paintings and trophies. The grounds house an 18th century Motor House that accommodates a collection of heritage vehicles. Further paintings are housed in an off-site storage facility in Epsom.
Original manuscript material comprising 1,600 boxes is housed in rented space at Westminster Archive Centre, but administered by Heritage staff.
The Royal Automobile Club is famed for its hospitality and lively events programme. A centre for motoring excellence, the Club embraces its heritage whilst looking towards a vibrant future.
We are now seeking a temporary Art Technician to assist with the organisation and classification of stores on a 6 months basis based across both Clubhouses.
Role Responsibilities include:
• Organisation and classification of object and painting stores.
• Maintenance of object and painting stores.
• Framing and de-framing of artworks when required.
• Undertaking inventories of stores and rooms, then checking these against the online catalogue and previous inventories.
• Logging movement of objects on the electronic catalogue.
• Overseeing the hanging of art in offices.
• Hanging of small exhibitions.
• Packing and crating of objects.
• Ordering of packing and preservation supplies.
• Record photography.
|Our ideal candidate: |
• Experience of art handling in a heritage, museum or gallery environment.
• Experience of hanging exhibitions.
• Good communication skills.
• Ability to work to deadlines.
• Excellent verbal and literacy skills.
• Ability to travel between sites.
• Organised and methodical approach.
• Ability to work cross culturally.
• Computer literacy.
• Experience of Archive Index + or multi-mimsy collections and asset management systems.
• Framing experience.
• Conservation or collections knowledge.
The role will be split between Pall Mall and Epsom, depending on the work required, predominantly Pall Mall. This is a physically demanding role, where the technician will be working alone and in a team, dependant on the project.
• Free meals on duty
• Shuttle bus to and from Epsom station
• Perkbox discount scheme
• Staff uniform
• Generous pension
• Employer paid health cash plan
• Staff fund
The Royal Automobile Club embodies both the rich history of British motoring and the best tradition of private members’ clubs - prestigious yet always welcoming. Here at our Clubhouses we’re passionate about pioneering ever higher standards of dining, accommodation and sporting facilities.
Most importantly, you’ll share our values. We combine a passion for our heritage with a desire to achieve new levels of excellence. We exceed expectations, treat each other with respect, and ensure mutual trust is at the core of everything we do. If you can live these values, you’ll see your efforts recognised and your potential nurtured in an organisation that’s full of individuals who have come up through the ranks, learned new skills or taken their careers in surprising new directions.
|Please click on the link to apply: