|Westminster Abbey is seeking to appoint a part time Abbey Marshal. Working within the Visitor Experience Team, you will be helping to promote outstanding, engaging visitor services as part of our welcome to all worshippers and visitors to the Abbey.
You will have a positive approach, with evidence of a commitment to delivering outstanding customer service and of anticipating and responding to customer needs. You should also be able to work effectively under pressure and to take and follow instructions.
Your contracted hours will be worked on a five-day rota basis that incorporates weekend working.
Westminster Abbey is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and adults at risk. To prevent them from harm, we undertake appropriate checks on staff and volunteers and require them to complete relevant safeguarding training and a Basic DBS check. Westminster Abbey is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
|JOB TITLE: Abbey Marshal |
This section outlines the knowledge, skills and abilities the job holder needs in order to fulfil the requirements of the post. ‘Essential’ criteria are those that the job holder absolutely must have in order to do the job. ‘Desirable’ criteria are those qualities that would be either useful, or an advantage or those which the job holder can be trained to do.
1. Excellent verbal communication skills
2. Work unsupervised and act on initiative when required
3. Respond to visitor’s enquiries, referring visitors to other staff where necessary
4. Act decisively in potentially difficult situations, control crowds and prevent congestion
5. Identify unusual or suspicious behaviour and take appropriate action
6. Provide effective, first class customer services skills
7. A positive approach, with evidence of a commitment to delivering outstanding customer service and of anticipating and responding to customer needs
8. The ability to engage positively and effectively with diverse customer groups
9. The ability to work effectively under pressure and to take and follow instructions
10. Flexibility to work in a variety of settings, indoors and outside, evening and weekends
11. Previous experience of working within a large venue/visitor attraction, managing visitor access, visitor flow and/or undertaking general security functions
12. Calm and friendly approach
13. Able to work effectively as part of a team
14. An empathy for the work of the Abbey
15. Stand and walk for long periods, including being outside in all weathers
16. Work weekends, early mornings and evenings
17. Previous experience in the Museums and Heritage sector
18. An interest in the history of historic buildings
This Job Profile will be kept under review and may be amended by the Dean & Chapter from time to time. Any proposed changes will be discussed with the postholder.
|All applications must be submitted no later than noon on Monday 21 October 2019 via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. CVs will not be accepted. Interviews will be scheduled for Monday 28 October 2019.