|Head of Participation and Learning
Location: National Memorial Arboretum, DE13 7AR
Contract: 35 hours per week, 5 days out of 7
Salary: £40,000 - £44,000
About The National Memorial Arboretum
The National Memorial Arboretum is the UK’s centre for year-round Remembrance - a vibrant, living landscape of reflection and inspiration. Located in Staffordshire, the 150-acre Arboretum is a special place honouring those who have served, and continue to serve, our nation in many different ways. The site includes the iconic Armed Forces Memorial, a lasting tribute to those in the Armed Forces who have lost their lives in the service of their country. Recent multi-million pound investments have doubled the size of the extensive visitor and learning facilities and created a brand new events facility for public and private use with a banqueting capacity of over 300. The Arboretum now welcomes over 300,000 visitors each year, hosts over 200 events and engages with around 16,000 student visitors. The Arboretum is part of The Royal British Legion
Our Values and Behaviours
Does the following describe you?
• A desire to deliver a great customer experience
• Enjoy and thrive in working in teams and with others
• Passionate about supporting the ongoing development of the Arboretum
• Come to work each day to be the best you can and to learn and develop
• An encourager, eager to share your knowledge and experience to help others
If so then we would like you hear from you ….
The Arboretum is looking for a successful and dynamic Head of Participation and Learning. Reporting to the Managing Director, responsibilities will include:
• The planning, development and implementation of the NMA’s participation and learning engagement strategies and programme to deliver organisation objectives on learning, visitor experience, visitor numbers and income.
• To develop existing audience participation and to develop new audiences, working with other Arboretum departments and the Royal British Legion to support lifelong learning about, and engagement with, Remembrance across its public programmes.
• To develop internal and external networks to increase the profile of the Arboretum and its participation and learning work and build strategic relationships with key partners, including academic institutions.
• To develop and motivate the participation and learning team of staff and volunteers, ensuring all team members understand their roles in supporting the organisation priorities.
• To prepare, monitor and manage annual budgets and operating plans for the Participation and Learning department and provide accurate reports as required by the Managing Director and Board of Trustees.
• As a member of the senior management team working with the Managing Director, to input into the strategic and operational development of the organisation as a whole.
You must have proven experience of working in a visitor attraction where you have successfully created learning participation activities and worked with young people; together with experience of managing people and projects. Good interpersonal and communication skills are essential, as are employee and stakeholder management skills. Attendance outside normal working hours will occasionally be required and the ability to work under pressure and prioritise workload will be essential.