Fixed Term p/t (1740 hrs py to 28/02/22)
We have a unique opportunity for someone who is passionate about great conservation. As the House Steward, you’ll play an important part of the house team. Variety is the order of the working day; you’ll be involved in everything from general housekeeping and preparing the house for special events, to providing tours to our visitors.
What it's like to work here
Sizergh is an imposing medieval house situated at the gateway to the Lake District. The 1,600-acre estate includes our largest limestone rock garden and a national collection of ferns. Restoration projects within the house and garden have created opportunities in all areas, particularly within the extensive gardening operation and visitor experience. This is a lively property with a varied events programme and thriving café, and the property are looking for team members with energy and enthusiasm.
What you'll be doing
You’ll be responsible for the daily opening of the house, ensuring appropriate resources are in place to be able to provide a consistently excellent service for our visitors. Working with a team of Conservation Assistants, you'll supervise the team responsible for implementing conservation routines, preventive conservation and annual deep cleaning programme within the house to ensure excellent standards of care, delivering strategies to improve conservation.
You'll collect and record information during housekeeping cleaning routines to inform our understanding of the house and the collection, and use preventive conservation techniques to improve how we conserve, interpret and present the property. You’ll enjoy telling visitors about our fascinating history, sharing tales from the past as well as your personal experience of working here.
Who we're looking for
We'd love to hear from you if you:
• Are inspired by all things Heritage and Conservation.
• Have good working knowledge of collections care and preventive conservation with an awareness of Museum Accreditation standards.
• Have an impressive eye for even the smallest of details and are comfortable working from height to help keep the house well-presented at all times.
• Have knowledge of Health & Safety and emergency procedures.
• Have the ability to support volunteers to perform at their best.
• Have excellent people skills and are a good team player, enabling strong relationships to be built and maintained.
• Have some knowledge and experience of managing budgets and finance.
• Flexible working whenever possible
• Free parking at most locations
• Discounts in high street stores, cinemas, National Trust properties and cafes
• Free entry to our properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
• Generous annual leave
• Subsidised health cash plan
• Free 24-hour support service
• Substantial pension scheme of up to 10% basic salary
• Training & Development tailored to you
• Up to 5 days of paid volunteering for you
|To find out more and apply, please follow:
Closing Date: 19 January 2020